PVS Institute Of Pediatric And Neonatology
PVS Memorial Hospital is privileged to have the PVS Memorial Hospital is privileged to have the first state-of-the-art tertiary Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Kerala which was started in 1992. Working in close liaison with the departments of obstetrics, pediatric surgery, cardiology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, nephrology, neurology and radiology, the unit is geared to handle in-utero transfers of high risk infants and all pediatric surgical and medical emergencies. A well stocked library and internet facility are provided to encourage academic pursuit of the medical staff. The department serves as a fulcrum of high-risk pregnancy care in this region, and has several publications to its credit. The department is staffed by 3 consultants, all of them trained overseas, and 4 registrars, and offers IAP-certified Neonatology Fellowship training for pediatricians. It also encourages and facilitates further training in neonatology and pediatrics in the UK and Australia.
We have a regular immunization program, with all vaccines recommended by the GOI and IAP available daily from 9AM-4PM. ROP screening and laser therapy, if needed, is performed by an experienced pediatric ophthalmologist and retinal surgeon in our NICU every Friday. We also offer OAE screening, neuro-imaging as well as neurodevelopmental screening and counseling for high-risk infants. Our department is one of first to be selected by the Indian Academy Pediatrics as a centre for training pediatricians in Neonatology and has been successfully conducting the IAP Neonatology Fellowship programme for the past four years.
- The NICU is a 22-bedded unit with 6 ventilators including facility for Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation, Bubble CPAP and HHHFNC.
- It has a 1:1 nurse-to-baby ratio and an overall survival rate of 92% in at 27 weeks gestation and more, and/or a birth weight of 600gm and above
- The pediatric ICU, with 8 beds, ventilator facility and 1:1 nurse-to-patient ratio, is equipped to handle the entire gamut of medical and surgical pediatric emergencies.
- Combined NICU and PICU admissions are approximately 1000 annually
- Our outpatients’ clinics handle about 18,000 patients annually
- Follow up of growth and nutrition, neurodevelopment assessment, immunization clinics, ROP and hearing screening, etc.
- The department also provides specialized pediatric gastroenterology, cardiology, orthopedics and nephrology services.
- The pediatric surgical team has vast experience in managing various surgical conditions including diaphragmatic hernia, tracheo-esophageal fistula, genito- urinary malformations as well as intestinal obstruction of various causes in neonates and pediatric populations.
- Service of a resident pediatrician is available round-the-clock.
- Department of Neonatology is a designated centre for National IAP Fellowship Examination.
- Our consultants are regular invitees to various state and national level conferences as faculty and speakers.