Dr SatheeshIypeis a highly accomplished surgeon in the field of Hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery and Multi-organ transplantation. He trained in General surgery(MS) and subsequentlyin Surgical gastroenterology (M Ch), from Medical College, Thiruvanathapuram. He graduated as the best outgoing trainee of his year and even won the Braun medal as the best Post graduate student in GI Surgery in India in 2005. He had further training in HPB Surgery, Upper GI and Bariatric Surgery, Colorectal Surgery and Multi-organ transplantation in the United Kingdom. He underwent training at reputed institutions including Royal London Hospital, Royal Free Hospital and Cambridge University Hospital in England.
He has vast experience in complex liver and pancreatic cancer surgery. He is proficient in laparoscopic and open surgeries for diseases of the pancreas and liver. He has several years of experience in kidney transplantation, liver transplantation, pancreas transplantation, small bowel and multi-visceral block transplantation. He has also gained experience from fellowships at Heidelberg, Germany and Asan Medical Centre, Seoul, Korea.
He has authored 31 peer-reviewed publications in various medical journals. He has been an editor and wrote chapters in several medical books, while also being a peer reviewer for multiple medical journals. He has presented papers in 20 national and 46 international conferences. He is accredited by the Royal College of surgeons of England as a trainer for various internationally reputed courses such as advanced trauma life support (ATLS), Basic surgical skills (BSS)and care of the critically ill surgical patient(CCrISP). He has conducted extensive research in the field of transplantation and was even awarded an M Phil degree from the University of Cambridge for the same.
- MBBS -Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
MG University, Kerala, India
- MS -Masters in Surgery University of Kerala, India
- DNB - Diplomate of National Board of Surgery, India
- MRCS Ed - Member of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- M Ch in Surgical Gastroenterology, University of Kerala, India
- M Phil in Transplant Surgery, University of Cambridge, UK
- Hesperis Diploma in Transplant Surgery, European Society of Organ Transplantation
- FEBS - Fellow of European Board of Surgery (Transplantation)
- FRCS - Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of England
- CCT – Joint Committee of Surgical Training, UK
Awards and Prizes
- First prize in oral paper presentation in the East Anglia Surgical Symposium -2014
- Second prize in free paper presentation in the East Anglia Surgeons meeting - 2010
- Best outgoing resident GI Surgery- 2006
- B. Braun Foundation prize for the best Post graduate student in GI Surgery in India- 2005
- ASiT travel fellowship to visit Heidelberg – HPB and Transplant unit, September 2012
- Peer reviewer on journals ‘Transplantation’, ‘Clinical Transplantation’ and ‘Transplantation direct’
Postgraduate Surgical training and Experience
Experience in India
- Basic Surgical Training
General Surgical Training (MS General Surgery), Govt. Medical College Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
- Subspecialty Training
Gastrointestinal Surgery Training (M Ch Surgical gastroenterology), Govt. Medical College Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
Experience in the UK
1) Senior HPB Fellow in Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, London, UK
2) Honorary Fellow in HPB and Transplant Surgery, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
3) Senior Transplant Fellow in Cambridge University Hospital, Cambridge, UK
- Higher Surgical Training
1) Upper GI Surgery, Colorectal Surgery and Vascular Surgery, Ipswich Hospital, Ipswich, UK
2) Multi-organ Transplant Surgery, Cambridge University Hospital, Cambridge, UK
3) HPB and General Surgery, Cambridge University Hospital, Cambridge, UK
- Other Fellowships
1) Honorary HPB and Transplant Fellowship at Kings College Hospital, London, UK
2) Visiting Fellow to Visceral and Transplant Unit at KlinikumUniversitat, Heidelberg
3) Visiting Fellow to HPB and Transplant Unit, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea.
Presentations and Publications
- Author of 31 peer-reviewed publications in various medical journals, as well as authoring several shapters in well known medical text books.
- 20 national and 46 international paper presentations at conferences.
- Live donor transplantation, liver transplantation from donors after circulatory Death, Small bowel transplantation, IPMN, Portal vein embolisation prior to extended liver resection, tropical pancreatitis and GIST.
- Trainer in courses such as Basic surgical skills, ATLS, Care of critically ill Surgical patient (CcrISP), Cadaveric simulation courses at Cambridge University and Royal College of Surgeons.
Areas of Interest
- Laparoscopic and open pancreatic resections for cancer, NETs and IPMN
- Pancreatic drainage procedures and resections for Chronic calcific pancreatitis
- Laparoscopic and open resections for primary and metastatic liver cancer
- Liver Transplantation (live donor and cadaveric)
- Pancreas transplantation
- Small bowel and Multi-visceral transplantation
- Minimally invasive surgery for acute necrotizing pancreatitis