Dr. Biju Jacob Abraham is Professor of Orthopaedics &Head; : PVS Institute for Joint replacement, Arthroscopy & Sports Injuries
- MBBS : Government Medical college, Mysore 1989
- M.S ( Ortho ) : Kasturba Medical College, Manipal1991 -1993 ( Best outgoing PG student )
- FRCSEd : Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK 2002
- Fellowship : Joint Replacement &Arthroscopy; / Sports Injuries . 2005 – 2006 ( University Hospital of North Staffordshire – NHS- U.K )
- 25 yearsof experience in Orthopaedics.
- Postgraduate in Orthopaedics from 1-1-1991. After postgraduation in 1993, joinedas Junior Consultant in Orthopaedics –at Alshifa Hospital &Shifa; Institute of Medical Sciences, Kerala,S. India – one of the busiest orthopaediccentres in South India under DrMohankumar. Later, Senior consultant & Head : Orthopaedics unit 2 from 1-4-2003..
- Assistant Professor in Orthopaedics at the prestigious Kasturba Medical college & Hospital, Manipal University ( 1996 – 97 ).
- Fellow : Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy / Sports injuries, University Hospital of North Staffordshire – NHS- U.K 2005 – 2006.
- On return to India ,joined MOSC Medical college Kolenchery, Kerala in 2006. Worked asProfessor of Orthopaedicstill 30-4-2015 – when I left to start dept of Orthopaedics at PVS Memorial hospital, Kochi, Kerala .
- International :Visiting consultant Kathmandu, Nepal - ( April , 2012 ) - for imparting training in Joint Replacement& Arthroscopic surgeries.
- International : Visiting consultant, UHNS, U.K - ( 2014 ).
- Advanced training:in various Joint Replacement / Sports injury centres in UK, Austria, Germany,Australia, India, Malaysia, etc. Visitations include with Professor Richard Spencer - Jones ( Revision Joint Replacement - Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt hospital, Oswestry, UK ) , Mr Ian Trail ( Shoulder Replacement – at the CharnleyWrightingtoncentre for hip replacement ( named after the father of Joint replacement surgery) & with Professor Strobel – Munich, Germany ( pioneer of menisceal repairs / PCL reconstruction) etc.
- Senior Consultant & HEAD : Department of Orthopaedics - PVS Memorial hospital , Kochi, Kerala : from 1-5-2015.
Achievements / Career highlights
- Among the earliest in the state to start Joint Replacement &specialised; Arthroscopic services in 2006 – at a time when few other centres were doing this.
- Conducted the 1st Cadaveric training programme in Kerala for ‘UNICONDYLAR KNEE REPLACEMENT’ - at MOSC Medical College, Kolenchery in 2006 & established regular UNI-CONDYLAR / HALF KNEE REPLACEMENT in the state.
- FirstinKerala( & 5th in India ) to do ‘extra-large diameter’ Total Hip Replacement (Delta-motion hip – Finsbury ) .
- Only centre in Kerala( and among few in India ) – doing proper “anatomic DOUBLE- BUNDLE” ACL Reconstruction regularly – for high-level athletes.
- Among the pioneers in Kerala –of Menisceal repair and other advanced Arthroscopic procedures in in Knee & Shoulder .
- Established full-fledged Shoulder,Hip, Ankle & Elbow Arthroscopy in November 2009 - when few other centres were doing this.
- Developed / standardisedinnovative ‘key-hole’ procedures – such as Excision of calcaneal spur in Retro-calcaneal bursitis, Release in Carpal Tunnel syndrome, Tendo- Achilles repair, release of adhesions in shoulder etc.
- 2nd in Kerala to start Speedbridge system – of secure arthroscopic Rotator cuff repair.
- First in Kerala – TO DO & OFFER on routine basis PORTABLE NAVIGATED implant-centeredCOMPUTER-ASSISTED TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT- the benchmark in accurate implant positioning & longevity.
- INTERNATIONAL FACULTY– on regional hip fracture symposium, CEC , Stoke-on-trent , UK (June 2014).
- Invited Speaker at National/ Local level meetings : IACON Dec.2012,Chennai –KNEE SUBSPECIALITY ; SHOULDERCON 2013,2014.2015, 2016 - SHOULDER ARTHROSCOPY MEET (SHOULDER & ELBOW SOCEITY, Kerala ) at Sunrise Hospital, Cochin , on ELBOW ARTHROSCOPY - May 2014,Kerala LOURDES ROTATOR CUFF WORKSHOP : Oct 2, 2014 etc, All – India STRYKER BIOMEDICAL MEET, Cochin 2016, Session chair – KNEE Arthritis ( Abbot- All- India Webinar 18th June 2016), JOINT REPLACEMENT MEET 2016 ( organised by Smith Nephew ) etc.
SPECIAL INTERESTS :
- JOINT REPLACEMENTS – especially computer-guided navigation surgery ( ALL JOINTS - including Hip, knee, ankle, shoulder, elbow, wrist etc ).
- ARTHROSCOPIC / ‘KEY-HOLE’ JOINT SURGERIES - including Hip, knee, ankle, foot, shoulder, elbow, wrist etc.
- SPORTS INJURIES.
- COMPLICATED SURGERIES – that can transform the quality of life dramatically but are neglected / refused by other surgeons – eg. Sprengel’s shoulder, Parlaysed / bedridden patients – to make them ambulant / functional, difficult Joint surgeries etc.